8. First, Christ said, “You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings or burnt offerings or other offerings for sin, nor were you pleased with them” (though they are required by the law of Moses).
9. Then he said, “Look, I have come to do your will.” He cancels the first covenant in order to put the second into effect.
10. For God’s will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time.
11. Under the old covenant, the priest stands and ministers before the altar day after day, offering the same sacrifices again and again, which can never take away sins.
12. But our High Priest offered himself to God as a single sacrifice for sins, good for all time. Then he sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand.
13. There he waits until his enemies are humbled and made a footstool under his feet.
14. For by that one offering he forever made perfect those who are being made holy.
Hebrews 10:8–14 NLT
For today’s passage, I took a little larger chunk of “Meat” in order to make a specific point. Typically I’ve been only covering two or three Verses to ensure that each topic is addressed adequately and thoroughly but this time I think it all flows together well and all the Verses assist in making the point, so I’ll get right to it.
The author begins by rehashing the subject of yesterday’s passage and informs us that Jesus understood the Reason that He was Called to Sacrifice Himself. He Reiterated the point that God was no longer Satisfied with the old order or its offerings for sin.
Although He Himself Ushered In the old ways, due to the corruption of man and our continual sin, it had become ineffectual in its impact and therefore God Decided to make the old sacrifices obsolete.
Jesus understood His Role in all this and Knows that He was Born to Do the Will of His Father. In such, He Subjected Himself to the Suffering that this entailed so that He could cancel “the first covenant in order to put the second into effect.”
This was done to Honor God’s Will for us to be Covered by the Perfect Sacrifice which was Jesus’s Blood and that covering would keep us enveloped in its Perfection for all time while only being offered once.
This runs in contrast to the old system in which “the priest stands and ministers before the altar day after day, offering the same sacrifices again and again, which can never take away sins.”
But through Jesus’s one Perfect Sacrifice He both eradicated the old covenant as well as the sins of all the people once and for all. Once He was finished with His Mission here on Earth, He went back to Heaven to await the day when His enemies would be defeated and His Kingdom would be Established on this plane of existence.
In one fell swoop and by only One Perfect Sacrifice; Himself, Jesus both made us Holy through the Transformation Provided by His Shed Blood, and Perfected us in a way that not only we couldn’t do for ourselves but that the old sacrifices could never provide us either.
Jesus’s Sacrifice made available to us everything that we would ever need as far as Perfection, Redemption, and Forgiveness entailed all in One Perfect Package, eliminating the necessity for the old system, and ushering in His New Covenant to give us the assistance we so sorely needed to experience Eternal Life Worshiping Him before His Throne. Now there’s something to chew on!
Have a Thought-Provoking Thursday, FB, and Stay Safe out there!