DAILY WORD 7/13/20
1. Here is the main point: We have a High Priest who sat down in the place of honor beside the throne of the majestic God in heaven.
2. There he ministers in the heavenly Tabernacle, the true place of worship that was built by the Lord and not by human hands.
3. And since every high priest is required to offer gifts and sacrifices, our High Priest must make an offering, too.
4. If he were here on earth, he would not even be a priest, since there already are priests who offer the gifts required by the law.
5. They serve in a system of worship that is only a copy, a shadow of the real one in heaven. For when Moses was getting ready to build the Tabernacle, God gave him this warning: “Be sure that you make everything according to the pattern I have shown you here on the mountain.”
Hebrews 8:1–5 NLT
Today’s passage begins Chapter 8 of the Book of Hebrews and presents the point that the author has been trying to illustrate over the last few Chapters.
He begins by showing us Jesus’s Place in Heaven and as such he makes the point he has been talking about in the most decisive way that he can.
Jesus’s Position is Superior to that of the Levitical priests. We know this and can be assured of this Fact because of His Position. No man has a position like Jesus does. It is both a Place of Honor and Majesty and cannot be usurped by any authority or office that man could ever hold.
However, Jesus is still a Minister, as all Priests are. That being said, He Ministers in a Place and from a Position that was not made by the hands of man but by God’s. This Fact adds additional support to the author’s argument for Jesus’s Superior Status as Great High Priest.
Jesus, in His Office of Priest, does indeed make Offerings on our behalf but that is not to confuse him with those human priests that hold the office here on earth.
If He were here in this plane of existence, He wouldn’t even hold the Office of Priest anymore. If Jesus were here on Earth He’d be King and Ruler of All Things, not simply The Great High Priest! So He really cannot be compared to any earthly counterparts.
Besides that, the priests here are serving under a system that was patterned after what God already established in Heaven. Therefore, even what Moses presented when he descended from his counsel with God on Mt. Saini is only a minuscule shadow of what Jesus Displays in His Role as The Great High Priest.
Tomorrow we will continue on with this explanation but in the meantime consider that we have an Advocate with The Father through Jesus that Exceeded anything that human priests could ever exhibit.
He is our Counselor, our Go-Between, our Champion, and our Sacrifice! We need no other Representative than Him because He Covers all bases as far as Advocacy goes. In Jesus, we are Completely Covered. That is what Constitutes a Great High Priest. Chew on that!
Have a Monumentous Monday and Stay Safe out there!